(TRAP, NEUTER, RELEASE)
- Our TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) for Feral Cats is for Levy County residents only and a driver's license showing proof of address will be required.
- We will be scheduling 18 cats to be spayed/neutered once a month.
- We will not be setting all 18 slots for one person, rather 3-4 cats per person at the most.
- Cats are to be dropped off the day before the scheduled surgery and will be scheduled to leave the day after surgery.
- All cats must arrive in a cat trap.
- Each person will be allowed to obtain 3-4 traps from us with a deposit of $25 for each trap (cash or check).
- Caregivers may bring carriers that the cats can go home in if they are planning on leaving the trap with us.
- If you are bringing the trap home you will have until the following Monday to return it or the deposits will be cashed.
- All cats undergoing surgery will have their ear tipped (this cannot be declined by the caregiver of the cat.
For Our Friends the Animals Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Initiative
Proposed Program Outline
- Low-cost spays and neuters will be made available to citizens of Levy County who are of retirement age (older than 62 years) or low-income status (determined by eligibility for other types of government aid). Proof of eligibility must be submitted with an application. Proof must consist of a photocopy of a Florida Driver’s License showing residence in Levy County, and proof of government aid unless over 62 years of age.
- Each applicant will submit a $10 nonrefundable application fee along with the application. This fee will be applied to the cost of surgery at the time the animal is dropped off. If scheduled appointments are missed, the fee will be forfeited.
- Appointments will be scheduled on a weekly to biweekly basis. Appointments will be first come, first served. It will be the responsibility of the client to remember the appointment and to show up on time. If a client cannot make their scheduled appointment, it is their responsibility to reschedule at least 24 hours BEFORE the appointment date and time. Clients will be limited to two pets per month. Clients will not be allowed to have more than four pets total done through this program. Exceptions may be made for feral cat colonies, but arrangements must be made through Animal Services in advance.
- It will be the client’s responsibility to transport the pet to and from Levy County Animal Services for the scheduled appointment. It will also be the client’s responsibility to prepare the pet for surgery (i.e. fasting, defleaing, bathing, etc.). Fasting requires that the animal have no food (including treats) after 8 pm the night before surgery or the morning of surgery. Water overnight is okay. Animals that have not been fasted or that are excessively dirty will not be allowed to undergo surgery. Animals that are determined to be in poor health may not be allowed to undergo surgery. Animals with fleas will be given flea control at the expense of the client.
- Dog spays (up to 75 lbs)-$55. Pregnant dogs add $10. Dogs over 75 lbs are not eligible.
- Dog neuters (up to 75 lbs)-$40. Cryptorchids dogs add $15. Dogs over 75 lbs are not eligible.
- Cat spays -$40. Pregnant cats add $10.
- Cat neuters-$25. Cryptorchid cats add $15.
- Flea control (Capstar) less than 25 lbs add $3.
- Flea control (Capstar) over 25 lbs add $6.
These prices include surgery itself, a microchip (if not already done), and a rabies shot (if not up to date). Microchips and rabies shots cannot be declined. Prices will be discounted if pets already have these items. It is the client’s responsibility to bring written proof of rabies if their pet is up to date. All other healthcare or surgical procedures will require a visit to a local veterinarian. Feral cats are welcome but must be brought in a trap. Remaining fees beyond the $10 deposit will be paid upon drop off of the pet. All fees will be paid with cash only.
Two surgeries will be scheduled for each working day. Surgeries will not be scheduled on weekends or holidays. Animals are to arrive between 8-9 am and be ready for surgery. Animals are to be picked up between 3-3:30 pm. Animals that are not picked up before closing time at 4 pm will incur a $20 per night boarding fee.
At the time of discharge, clients will be given postoperative care information, emergency information, and information about spay/neuter, vaccination, and other preventative health care, and heartworms/intestinal parasites in an effort to further educate clients about proper pet care.
The Levy County Animal Services (LCAS) is an Animal Shelter that takes in unwanted or stray pets. We are by no means a boarding facility for the general public. Animals that are housed here are dogs or cats that are owner released, people drop off, or strays. The policy for this facility is to hold dogs or cats that are dropped off or picked up as a stray for three to five working days. This gives the pet’s owner time to reclaim their pet. After which time the animal may be adopted, rescued or destroyed humanely. We encourage all animal owners to identify your pets with the owners' name and telephone number, rabies tag, or implanted microchip. We use an Avid Scanner for identifying lost pets with microchips, so if found we can reunite pet and owner.
Adopting a Friend
All Animals that are adopted or rescued from the Levy County Animal Services are required by Florida Law to be Spay/Neutered and also have a rabies vaccination. To adopt a male dog from the shelter the fee is $40.00, which covers neutering, rabies vaccination (if age appropriate) and microchipping. To adopt a female dog from the shelter the fee is $55.00, which covers spaying, rabies vaccination (if age appropriate) and microchipping. To adopt a male cat from the shelter the fee is $25.00, which covers neutering, rabies vaccination (if age appropriate) and microchipping. To adopt a female cat from the shelter the fee is $40.00, which covers spaying, rabies vaccination (if age appropriate) and microchipping. Adoptions can be done Monday thru Friday between 8:00 am & 4:00 pm. We encourage people to get here by 3:30 pm to give us time to complete the required paperwork. All adoptions are done on a first come basis. A current list of adoptable dogs and cats can be found at our website by clicking the link below.
All transactions such as adoption, impounding, etc. are cash payment only – no checks or cards.
Rescue Organizations Welcomed
We welcome rescue organizations to assist us with the placement of the healthy adoptable pets. The requirements are described in our Placement Animal Agreement, which can be downloaded from our website by clicking the link above or call our office for a copy. Levy County Animal Services recognizes the benefit of networking with other protection agencies and individuals participating in breed-specific re-homing of companion animals.
Come Visit Us!
From Gainesville take Highway 24 West to Bronson and left on 27A. From I-75 Ocala (Exit 354, old number 70 Ocala/Williston) Take 27 North to Williston take Alt.27(27A North) to C335 and make a right- From Tallahassee take (19/98/27 South) to Chiefland take Alt.27 to Bronson, continue on 27A out of Bronson until you come to C335 and make a left- go about 1/4 mile to NE. 69th Lane and make another right. Follow the signs for Levy County Animal Services/Levy County Landfill. The shelter location is at the landfill, please come and see the animals we have for adoption or find a pet you might be missing.
David Weatherford, Director
Crystal Pruitt, Administration
P.O. Box 61
Bronson, FL 32621
12055 NE 69th Lane
Bronson, FL 32621
Main Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.